I’m trying a Metal Tooling class after school, and was happy with how this turned out, especially as I had quite a few kinders, along with 1st and 2nd graders. Templates helped every one get started with a nice large simple fish, which they personalized as desired.
PREP: Cut black paper to 7.5″ x 5.5″ so that art may be framed later on. Cut metal tooling to 4″ x 7″. Make simple fish templates from 4″ x 7″ chipboard. Cut 4″ x 7″ felt squares.
- Students place a piece of tooling on the felt. They put a template on top and trace with a pencil.
- The template is removed and students draw, and imprint, lots of scales and details.
- The fish is cut out with scissors. Regular school variety work fine.
- The fish is colored with Sharpies. I love the brush variety for this as the color glides on.
- The fish is taped to the black paper with a roll of masking tap.